Wow! Time is really flying by and before I know it, I will be headed outta Dodge and realizing a dream. I heard from my Cousin, Leo yesterday. He lives in Guangzhou Shi, Guangdong, China. I will be arriving in Hong Kong the 28th of March so he will come over there the night before and tour me around Hong King during my 12 hour lay over! What a TREAT!
As the days round out before leaving to Everest Base Camp, I am finishing up getting the gear in. This near two year process has resulted in me making some additions and changes in what gear I want to bring. I have opted to take two pair of boots, but now, one pair will be all leather, Keen Erickson PCT’s to compliment my Keen Oregon PCT’s. I decided I like the Patagonia Fitz Roy 800 fill down hoodie for my summit coat. That takes out my Mountain Hardwear Down Sweater.
I still have to get all my electronics together and figure out how many batteries and what type I will need to bring. I have my Mac Book Pro, my SPOT, my solar batteries, my steri-pen, my iPhone, and my Canon 60D camera. I have to complete my first aid list and get my shots. The Health District web page advised getting them right before leaving as they only last a few weeks. I need to be sure I have enough stuff sacks and dry bags to get all mys stuff into my big Mountain Hardwear Trekking duffel, pack my pack and select one other small carry on to hold boots, camera, passport, tickets and cash. I also need to get passport pictures taken to bring for visa documents for Mountain Madness.
I mentioned a device I got called a SPOT. I was able to purchase it used from a forum member at Trail Space. He only charged me $40.00 and it is going to be a very important part of my trek. Dad is quite worried about me. This little device will enable me to press a button, which will then ping a satellite. That will cause the satellite to send a text message to my sister and emails to various others as well as mark a map through Google Maps. So Dad will know every day that I am A.O.K. and he can worry far less. I purchased a ton of insurance so that if ANYTHING happens, I am covered and don’t have to pay up front. I can get medical care, evacuation and anything else needed.
So I do feel very prepared though there is much to do in the next 5 weeks until I depart. I will begin organizing this weekend. Though I will be out both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday to continue the search for Ron Kirk and Sunday to Black Mountain.